Posted on 2020-11-25, by Jockerss.
The Romantic Machine - Utopian Science and Technology after Napoleon
epub | 12.62 MB | English | Isbn:022621480X |
Author: John Tresch; | PAge: 469 | Year: 2012
In the years immediately following Napoleon's defeat, French thinkers in all fields set their minds to the problem of how to recover from the long upheavals that had been set into motion by the French Revolution. Many challenged the Enlightenment's emphasis on mechanics and questioned the rising power of machines, seeking a return to the organic unity of an earlier age and triggering the artistic and philosophical movement of romanticism. Previous scholars have viewed romanticism and industrialization in opposition, but in this groundbreaking volume John Tresch reveals how thoroughly entwined science and the arts were in early nineteenth-century France and how they worked together to unite a fractured society.
Focusing on a set of celebrated technologies, including steam engines, electromagnetic and geophysical instruments, early photography, and mass-scale printing, Tresch looks at how new conceptions of energy, instrumentality, and association fueled such diverse developments as fantastic literature, popular astronomy, grand opera, positivism, utopian socialism, and the Revolution of 1848. He shows that those who attempted to fuse organicism and mechanism in various ways, including Alexander von Humboldt and Auguste Comte, charted a road not taken that resonates today.
Essential reading for historians of science, intellectual and cultural historians of Europe, and literary and art historians, The Romantic Machine is poised to profoundly alter our understanding of the scientific and cultural landscape of the early nineteenth century.
Category:Utopian Ideology, History of France, History of Engineering & Technology
Hosters: | Nitroflare
- Ebooks list page : 45415
- 2020-11-23The Romantic Machine: Utopian Science and Technology after Napoleon
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Romantic Machine: Utopian Science and Technology after Napoleon
- 2017-01-12[PDF] The Romantic Machine: Utopian Science and Technology after Napoleon
- 2014-05-27The Romantic Machine: Utopian Science and Technology after Napoleon
- 2011-09-01The Fundamental Role of Science and Technology in International Development
- 2011-07-16Science and Technology and the Future Development of Societies: International Workshop Proceedings
- 2011-09-11Basic Research in Information Science and Technology for Air Force Needs
- 2012-01-24Future R&D Environments: A Report for the National Institute of Standards and Technology
- 2011-10-08An Assessment of Naval Hydromechanics Science and Technology (Compass Series)
- 2011-10-04Science and Technology for Army Homeland Security: Report 1
- 2011-09-08Science and Technology in Kazakhstan: Current Status and Future Prospects
- 2011-06-03Science and Technology for Army Homeland Security: Report 1
- 2011-12-27The Fundamental Role of Science and Technology in International Development: An Imperative for the U.S. Agency for International Development
- 2011-12-04The Fundamental Role of Science and Technology in International Development: An Imperative for the U.S. Agency for International Development
- 2011-09-22Numerical data and functional relationships in science and technology: Ternary alloy systems. Iron systems
- 2021-06-22The High Tide of Science and Technology Development in China: History of Science and Technology in China Volume 3 - Removed
- 2020-12-11Reflections on the History of Indian Science and Technology
- 2020-12-05The Third Wave in Science and Technology Studies Future Research Directions on Expertise and Experie...
- 2020-05-05The Great Knowledge Transcendence: The Rise of Western Science and Technology Reframed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.