[PDF] Words Made Flesh: Nineteenth-Century Deaf Education and the Growth of Deaf Culture (History of Disability)
Posted on 2017-12-09, by luongquocchinh.
Author: R. A. R. Edwards | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 263 | ISBN: 0814722431 | ISBN13: 9780814722435 |
Description: During the early nineteenth century, schools for the deaf appeared in the United States for the first time. These schools were committed to the use of the sign language to educate deaf students. Manual education made the growth of the deaf community possible, for it gathered deaf people together in sizable numbers for the first time in American history. It also fuelled the emergence of Deaf culture, as the schools became agents of cultural transformations. Just as the Deaf community began to be recognized as a minority culture, in the 1850s, a powerful movement arose to undo it, namely oral education. Advocates of oral education, deeply influenced by the writings of public school pioneer Horace Mann, argued that deaf students should stop signing and should start speaking in the hope that the Deaf community would be abandoned, and its language and culture would vanish. In this revisionist history, Words Made Flesh explores the educational battles of the nineteenth century from both hearing and deaf points of view. It places the growth of the Deaf community at the heart of the story of deaf education and explains how the unexpected emergence of Deafness provoked the pedagogical battles that dominated the field of deaf education in the nineteenth century, and still reverberate today.
Words Made Flesh: Nineteenth-Century Deaf Education and the Growth of Deaf Culture (History of Disability).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34212
- 2018-01-07[PDF] American Arabesque: Arabs and Islam in the Nineteenth Century Imaginary (America and the Long 19th Century)
- 2017-11-28[PDF] American Painting of the Nineteenth Century: Realism, Idealism, and the American Experience With a New Preface
- 2017-11-19[PDF] History Lover's Cookbook: Over 150 full-color photos inspired by nineteenth century recipes, anecdotes, and the Civil War
- 2017-11-03[PDF] Street Ballads in Nineteenth-Century Britain, Ireland, and North America: The Interface Between Print and Oral Traditions
- 2017-04-07[PDF] Women, Money, and the Law: Nineteenth-Century Fiction, Gender, and the Courts
- 2017-01-10[PDF] American Painting of the Nineteenth Century: Realism, Idealism, and the American Experience With a New Preface
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Education and the Growth of Knowledge: Perspectives from Social and Virtue Epistemology (Journal of Philosophy of Education)
- 2010-10-30Terry Abraham - Mountains So Sublime: Nineteenth-century British Travellers And the Lure of the Rocky Mountain West
- 2009-07-24Women, Money, and the Law: Nineteenth-Century Fiction, Gender, and the Courts - Removed
- 2017-12-25[PDF] A Treasury of Deception: Liars, Misleaders, Hoodwinkers, and the Extraordinary True Stories of History's Greatest Hoaxes, Fakes and Frauds
- 2017-11-29[PDF] Technology for Modelling: Electrical Analogies, Engineering Practice, and the Development of Analogue Computing (History of Computing) - Removed
- 2017-01-09[PDF] A Treasury of Deception: Liars, Misleaders, Hoodwinkers, and the Extraordinary True Stories of History's Greatest Hoaxes, Fakes and Frauds
- 2012-03-17Tithe and Agrarian History from the Fourteenth to the Nineteenth Century: An Essay in Comparative History By Emmanuel le Roy Ladurie, Joseph Goy
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Atlantic Bonds: A Nineteenth-Century Odyssey from America to Africa (H. Eugene and Lillian Youngs Lehman Series)
- 2018-01-26[PDF] The Literary Monster on Film: Five Nineteenth Century British Novels and Their Cinematic Adaptations
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Hungary's Long Nineteenth Century: Constitutional and Democratic Traditions in a European Perspective (Central and Eastern Europe)
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Strategic Factors in Nineteenth Century American Economic History: A Volume to Honor Robert W. Fogel (National Bureau of Economic Research Conference Report) - Removed
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Science and Eccentricity: Collecting, Writing and Performing Science for Early Nineteenth-Century Audiences (Science and Culture in the Nineteenth Century)
- 2017-12-21[PDF] The New Nineteenth-Century European Paintings and Sculpture Galleries
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.