[PDF] Wingfield at War: Vol. I (The British Navy at War and Peace)
Posted on 2018-01-24, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Mervyn Wingfield | Publisher: Whittles Publishing | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 176 | ISBN: 1849950644 | ISBN13: 9781849950640 |
Description: The previously unpublished memoirs of a wartime submariner whose exploits included the stalking and sinking of a Japanese submarine. Captain Mervyn Wingfield was one of the last of his generation of submariners who made their reputation in the Second World War. Pre-war he had served on the China station and lived the riotous life of a young officer in the war he commanded three submarines, Umpire, Sturgeon and Taurus, survived a collision in the North Sea, spent a winter in the Arctic, penetrated the Norwegian fjords submerged through a minefield, surfaced off St Nazaire in view of German guns to act as a navigation marker for the raiding force, fought cavalry in the northern Aegean, and later, off Penang, was the first British submariner to sink a Japanese submarine and barely survived the subsequent, vicious counterattack after Taurus was severely damaged and became stuck in the mud at the bottom. Any one of these incidents would have merited a place for Wingfield in the history of naval warfare and the pantheon of submarine heroes. The Royal Navys most senior submariner, Admiral Lord Boyce, notes in his foreword that the diesel-powered submarines in which both men served were not so different, but the risks which Wingfield took in wartime were greater, and Lord Boyce admired the way in which Wingfield led his crew and was loved by them. Many men were burned-out by the war, but in the post-war years Wingfield enjoyed a successful peacetime career in the Royal Navy where, finally, his personal qualities and his diplomacy were put to the test as a naval attach. In retirement Wingfield was well-known for hosting lively beef and stilton lunches at the London Boat Show! He was also one of the last of the generations of Anglo-Irish families who served the Crown and provided officers and men for the Army and the Navy, and his story additionally gives some insights into his early days, especially with regard to being a young officer in the Royal Navy in the 1930s.
Wingfield at War: Vol. I (The British Navy at War and Peace).pdf
Sponsored High Speed Downloads
8305 dl's @ 3547 KB/sDownload Now [Full Version]
9259 dl's @ 2566 KB/sDownload Link 1 - Fast Download
5291 dl's @ 2353 KB/sDownload Mirror - Direct Download
Search More...[PDF] Wingfield at War: Vol. I (The British Navy at War and Peace)
Download this book
No active download links here?Please check the description for download links if any or do a search to find alternative books.
- Ebooks list page : 35628
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Through Albert's Eyes: Vol. II (The British Navy at War and Peace)
- 2017-12-18[PDF] 1808: The Flight of the Emperor: How a Weak Prince, a Mad Queen, and the British Navy Tricked Napoleon and Changed the New World
- 2017-11-06[PDF] Reflections on War and Peace and the Constitution
- 2022-07-011808 The Flight of the Emperor How A Weak Prince, A Mad Queen, And The British Navy Tricked Napoleon And Changed The N Ed 10
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Eisenhower in War and Peace
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Words of War and Peace: Great Speeches of War, Conflict, and Military History
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Dictators at War and Peace
- 2013-12-181808: The Flight of the Emperor: How a Weak Prince, a Mad Queen, and the British Navy Tricked Napoleon and Changed the New World
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The British Campaign in France and Flanders - Volume 5: The Great War By Arthur Conan Doyle (The Great War - The British Campaign in France and Flanders)
- 2012-06-08The British Tanks 1915-1919
- 2012-05-16Mr.Churchill's Tank: The British Infantry Tank Mark IV (Schiffer Military History)
- 2022-12-31Bubblerock Is Here To Stay Vol. 2 The British Pop Explosion 1970-73 (Cherry Red Records)
- 2022-10-12The Soviet Army's High Commands in War and Peace, 1941-1992 (True PDF, EPUB)
- 2020-07-06The British Campaign in France and Flanders - Volume 5: The Great War By Arthur Conan Doyle (The Great War - The British Campaign in France and Flanders)
- 2019-05-12The New Cambridge Modern History, Vol. 9: War and Peace in an Age of Upheaval, 1793-1830
- 2018-09-26Merchants of War and Peace British Knowledge of China in the Making of the Opium War
- 2018-07-21Merchants of War and Peace British Knowledge of China in the Making of the Opium War
- 2018-06-23Strategy and War Planning in the British Navy, 1887-1918
- 2018-06-11Strategy and War Planning in the British Navy, 1887-1918
No comments for "[PDF] Wingfield at War: Vol. I (The British Navy at War and Peace)".
Add Your Comments
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.