[PDF] Spaces of the Sacred and Profane: Dickens, Trollope, and the Victorian Cathedral Town (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
Posted on 2017-10-31, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Elizabeth A. Bridgham | Publisher: Routledge | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 202 | ISBN: 0415979528 | ISBN13: 9780415979528 |
Description: This study examines the unique cultural space of Victorian cathedral towns as they appear in the literary work of Charles Dickens and Anthony Trollope, arguing that Dickens and Trollope use the cathedral towns enclosure, and its overt connections between sacred and secular, present and past, as an ideal locus from which to critique Victorian religious attitudes, aesthetic anxieties, business practices, and even immigration. By displacing these issues from the metropolis, these social authors defamiliarize them, raising what might have been considered strictly urban problems to the level of national crises. By situating contemporary debates in cathedral towns, Dickens and Trollope complicate the restrictive dichotomy between urban and rural space often drawn by contemporary critics and Victorian fiction writers alike. In this book, Bridgham focuses on the appearance of three such key concerns appearing in the cathedral towns of each writer: religious fragmentation, the social value of artistic labor, and the Gothic revival. Dickens and Trollope reject Romantic nostalgia by concentrating on the ancient, yet vital (as opposed to ruined) edifices of the cathedrals, and by demonstrating ways in which modern sensibilities, politics, and comforts supersede the values of the cloister. In this sense, their cathedral towns are not idealized escapes rather, they reflect the societies of which they are a part.
Spaces of the Sacred and Profane: Dickens, Trollope, and the Victorian Cathedral Town (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32990
- 2017-02-17[PDF] Spaces of the Sacred and Profane: Dickens, Trollope, and the Victorian Cathedral Town (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- 2017-10-07[PDF] Caravaggio: A Life Sacred and Profane
- 2017-02-09[PDF] Caravaggio: A Life Sacred and Profane
- 2018-01-29[PDF] 4000 Years of Migration and Cultural Exchange (Terra Australis 40): The Archaeology of the Batanes Islands, Northern Philippines (Volume 40)
- 2018-01-22[PDF] Custom in Islamic Law and Legal Theory: The Development of the Concepts of ?Urf and ??dah in the Islamic Legal Tradition (Palgrave Series in Islamic Theology, Law, and History) - Removed
- 2018-01-13[PDF] The Encyclopedia of Literary and Cultural Theory (Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Literature)
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Derrida, Literature and War: Absence and the Chance of Meeting (Philosophy and Cultural Theory)
- 2018-01-03[PDF] The Literary Agamben: Adventures in Logopoiesis (Philosophy and Cultural Theory)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Aircraft Stories: Decentering the Object in Technoscience (Science and Cultural Theory)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Raymond Williams: Literature, Marxism and Cultural Materialism (Critics of the Twentieth Century)
- 2017-12-19[PDF] Copyright, Freedom Of Speech, And Cultural Policy In The Russian Federation (Law in Eastern Europe)
- 2017-12-04[PDF] Surviving Images: Cinema, War, and Cultural Memory in the Middle East
- 2017-12-01[PDF] Flogging Others: Corporal Punishment and Cultural Identity from Antiquity to the Present
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Alasdair Gray: The Fiction of Communion (Scroll 4) (Scottish Cultural Review of Language and Literature)
- 2017-11-28[PDF] The Ontogeny of Information: Developmental Systems and Evolution (Science and Cultural Theory)
- 2017-11-24[PDF] The Other Empire: British Romantic Writings about the Ottoman Empire (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] Presence: Philosophy, History, and Cultural Theory for the Twenty-First Century
- 2017-11-21[PDF] The Mangle in Practice: Science, Society, and Becoming (Science and Cultural Theory)
- 2017-11-03[PDF] The Year's Work at the Zombie Research Center (The Year's Work: Studies in Fan Culture and Cultural Theory)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.