Posted on 2018-02-02, by luongquocchinh.
Author: John D. Wong | Publisher: Cambridge University Press | Category: Economy | Language: English | Page: 256 | ISBN: 1107150663 | ISBN13: 9781107150669 |
Description: In this engaging new study, John Wong examines the Canton trade networks that helped to shape the modern world through the lens of the prominent Chinese merchant Houqua, whose trading network and financial connections stretched from China to India, America and Britain. In contrast to interpretations that see Chinese merchants in this era as victims of rising Western mercantilism and oppressive Chinese traditions, Houqua maintained a complex balance between his commercial interests and those of his Western counterparts, all in an era of transnationalism before the imposition of the Western world order. The success of Houqua and Co. in configuring its networks in the fluid context of the early nineteenth century remains instructive today, as the contemporary balance of political power renders the imposition of a West-centric world system increasingly problematic, and requires international traders to adapt to a new world order in which China, once again, occupies center stage.
Global Trade in the Nineteenth Century: The House of Houqua and the Canton System.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35892
- 2012-03-17Tithe and Agrarian History from the Fourteenth to the Nineteenth Century: An Essay in Comparative History By Emmanuel le Roy Ladurie, Joseph Goy
- 2018-01-30[PDF] Global Ageing in the Twenty-First Century: Challenges, Opportunities and Implications
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Darwinistas!: The Construction of Evolutionary Thought in Nineteenth Century Argentina (History of Science and Medicine Library / Scientific and Lea) - Removed
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Claiming the Bicycle: Women, Rhetoric, and Technology in Nineteenth-Century America (Studies in Rhetorics and Feminisms)
- 2018-01-13[PDF] A Cultural History of the British Census: Envisioning the Multitude in the Nineteenth Century (Palgrave Studies in Cultural and Intellectual History) - Removed
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Unsettled States: Nineteenth-Century American Literary Studies (America and the Long 19th Century)
- 2017-10-30[PDF] Global Perspectives on the Health of Seeds and Plant Propagation Material (Plant Pathology in the 21st Century) - Removed
- 2017-10-04[PDF] The Other East and Nineteenth-Century British Literature: Imagining Poland and the Russian Empire - Removed
- 2017-01-12[PDF] The Other East and Nineteenth-Century British Literature: Imagining Poland and the Russian Empire
- 2017-01-12[PDF] A Cultural History of the British Census: Envisioning the Multitude in the Nineteenth Century (Palgrave Studies in Cultural and Intellectual History)
- 2022-02-08Inheritance in Nineteenth-century French Culture - Wealth, Knowledge and the Family
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Global Lean: Seeing the New Waste Rooted in Communication, Distance, and Culture
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Global Urban Justice: The Rise of Human Rights Cities
- 2018-01-23[PDF] 'International Trade: On the Brink of Change'
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Global Financial Regulation: The Essential Guide (Now with a Revised Introduction)
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Global Gods: Exploring the Role of Religions in Modern Societies
- 2017-12-24[PDF] Fair Trade from the Ground Up: New Markets for Social Justice
- 2017-12-18[PDF] Global Energy Governance: The New Rules of the Game
- 2017-12-17[PDF] Global Tax Revolution: The Rise of Tax Competition and the Battle to Defend It
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.