Posted on 2017-10-24, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Linda Colley | Publisher: Anchor | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 464 | ISBN: 0385721463 | ISBN13: 9780385721462 |
Description: In this path-breaking book Linda Colley reappraises the rise of the biggest empire in global history. Excavating the lives of some of the multitudes of Britons held captive in the lands their own rulers sought to conquer, Colley also offers an intimate understanding of the peoples and cultures of the Mediterranean, North America, India, and Afghanistan. Here are harrowing, sometimes poignant stories by soldiers and sailors and their womenfolk, by traders and con men and by white as well as black slaves. By exploring these forgotten captives and their captors Colley reveals how Britains emerging empire was often tentative and subject to profound insecurities and limitations. She evokes how British empire was experienced by the mass of poor whites who created it. She shows how imperial racism coexisted with cross-cultural collaborations, and how the gulf between Protestantism and Islam, which some have viewed as central to this empire, was often smaller than expected. Brilliantly written and richly illustrated, Captives is an invitation to think again about a piece of history too often viewed in the same old way. It is also a powerful contribution to current debates about the meanings, persistence, and drawbacks of empire.
Captives: Britain, Empire, and the World, 1600-1850.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32729
- 2017-02-09[PDF] Captives: Britain, Empire, and the World, 1600-1850 - Removed
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Ottoman Empire and the World Around It (Library of Ottoman Studies)
- 2017-07-14The Idea Of Greater Britain Empire And The Future Of World Order, 1860 1900
- 2010-08-06Britain, the Empire, and the World at the Great Exhibition of 1851
- 2010-02-16Britain, the Empire, and the World at the Great Exhibition of 1851
- 2009-10-25The Idea of Greater Britain: Empire and the Future of World Order, 1860-1900
- 2009-07-29Britain, the Empire, and the World at the Great Exhibition of 1851
- 2009-04-27Britain, the Empire, and the World at the Great Exhibition of 1851
- 2021-09-04Library of Ottoman Studies Suraiya Faroqhi The Ottoman Empire and the World Around It I B Tauris 2004
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Socio-Economic Democracy and the World Government: Collective Capitalism, Depovertization, Human Rights, Template for Sustainable Peace
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Macrowikinomics: Rebooting Business and the World [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-10[PDF] America, Sea Power, and the World
- 2017-12-31[PDF] Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War - Removed
- 2017-12-01[PDF] Great Powers: America and the World After Bush
- 2017-11-21[PDF] Globalization, Southeastern Europe, and the World Economy
- 2017-10-30[PDF] Dreadnought: Britain, Germany and the Coming of the Great War - Removed
- 2017-04-15[PDF] Women's Health and the World's Cities (The City in the Twenty-First Century)
- 2017-02-10[PDF] Great Powers: America and the World After Bush
- 2017-02-10[PDF] Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.