Posted on 2018-09-26, by nokia241186.
Knowledge and Truth in Plato: Stepping Past the Shadow of Socrates by Catherine Rowett
English | April 19, 2018 | ISBN: 019969365X | PDF | 336 pages | 2.6 MB
Several myths about Plato's work are decisively challenged by Catherine Rowett: the idea that Plato agreed with Socrates about the need for a definition of what we know; the idea that he set out to define justice in the Republic; the idea that knowledge is a kind of true belief, or that Plato ever thought that it might be something like that; the idea that "knowledge proper" is propositional, and that the Theaetetus was Plato's best attempt to define knowledge as a species of belief, and that it only failed due to his incompetence.
Instead Rowett argues that Plato was replacing the failed methods of Socrates, including his attempt to find a definition or single common factor, and that he replaced those methods with methods derived from geometry, including methods that involve inference from shadows to their originals (a method which Rowett calls "the iconic method. As a result we should see that Plato is presenting the knowledge that is acquired as non-propositional and pictorial in nature, and that it is to be identified not with knowledge of facts nor of objects, but of types qua types-types that stand to the tokens that are used in our enquiry as original to shadow. The book includes detailed studies of the Meno, Republic and Theaetetus, and argues that the insights that Plato brings about the nature of conceptual knowledge, its importance in underpinning all other activities, and about the notion of truth as it applies to conceptual competence, are significant and should be taken seriously as a corrective to areas in which current analytic philosophy has lost its way.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 37237
- 2018-07-21Knowledge and Truth in Plato Stepping Past the Shadow of Socrates
- 2018-05-23Knowledge and Truth in Plato: Stepping Past the Shadow of Socrates
- 2017-10-10[PDF] Between Freud & Klein: The Psychoanalytic Quest for Knowledge and Truth
- 2021-10-16Ethereum Basic Knowledge And How To Mine Ether On The Web
- 2020-08-22Reconstructing Sustainability Science: Knowledge and action for a sustainable future (The Earthscan Science in Society Series)
- 2018-11-12Knowledge and Social Structure An Introduction to the Classical Argument in the Sociology of Knowled...
- 2018-11-08ETHEREUM Basic knowledge and how to mine Ether on the web
- 2018-06-04ETHEREUM Basic knowledge and how to mine Ether on the web
- 2018-05-02ETHEREUM Basic knowledge and how to mine Ether on the web
- 2018-04-04ETHEREUM Basic knowledge and how to mine Ether on the web
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Reconstructing Sustainability Science: Knowledge and action for a sustainable future (The Earthscan Science in Society Series)
- 2017-03-11Python 2 Books in 1 Beginners Guide and Advanced Tips to Reach Past the Beginners Level
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Reconstructing Sustainability Science: Knowledge and action for a sustainable future (The Earthscan Science in Society Series)
- 2011-06-03Knowledge and Special Libraries: Series: Resources for the Knowledge-Based Economy
- 2009-12-08Knowledge and Innovation: A Comparative Study of the USA, the UK and Japan - Removed
- 2020-06-09Marx and Weber on Oriental Societies: In the Shadow of Western Modernity (Classical and Contemporary Social Theory)
- 2018-11-15Privacy and Power A Transatlantic Dialogue in the Shadow of the NSA-Affair
- 2018-06-21Privacy and Power A Transatlantic Dialogue in the Shadow of the NSA-Affair
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Secret Weapons and World War II: Japan in the Shadow of Big Science (Modern War Studies)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.